CCIE R&S V5.1 Written Exam: Implement, Troubleshoot and Optimize EIGRP Convergence and Scalability
I will be discussing Implement, Troubleshoot and Optimize EIGRP Convergence and Scalability as part of Layer 3 Technologies and Fundamental Routing Concepts CCIE Routing and Switching (R&S) V5.1 exam blueprint topics.
Implement, Troubleshoot and Optimize EIGRP Convergence and Scalability :
3.5 EIGRP [for IPv4 and IPv6]
3.5.h Implement, troubleshoot and optimize EIGRP convergence and scalability
3.5.h [i] Describe fast convergence requirements
3.5.h [ii] Control query boundaries
3.5.h [iii] IP FRR/fast reroute [single hop]
3.5.8 [iv] Summary leak-map
3.5.h [v] Summary metric
Let me summarize some of the key takeaways related to CCIE R&S V5.1 Written Exam: Implement and Troubleshoot Static Routing as relevant to CCIE Routing and Switching (R&S) V5.1 written exam blueprint topics.
- To configure a summary aggregate address for a specified interface, use the ip summary-address eigrp command in interface configuration mode
- Use the summary-metric command to mitigate the metric churn and processing overhead
- Use the auto-summary command to summarize the external routes that are learned and overlap with the locally configured “network” statements
- Configuring the leak-map keyword allows to advertise a component route that would otherwise be suppressed by the manual summary. Any component subset of the summary can be leaked. A route map and access list must be defined to source the leaked route.
- EIGRP throttles to use 50 percent of the configured bandwidth. Lowering the bandwidth can cause problems like starving EIGRP neighbors from getting hello packets because of the throttling back.
- Reduced EIGRP timers can yield about 1-2 seconds convergence times at best whereas BFD can provide sub-second convergence times
- When RIP, IGRP, EIGRP are used as the routing protocol, enabling split horizon prevents the network of the secondary addresses from being advertised over the primary network.
- EIGRP can form neighbor relationship using only the primary address.
I sincerely hope that you found this article and video helpful. Please post your questions or suggestions in the comments and tell me how you are preparing for your CCIE Routing and Switching (R&S) V5.1 written and lab exams.