CCIE Security 400-251 V5.0 Written and Lab Exam – All you need to know!
Cisco published yet another update to CCIE Security Written and lab exams dubbed as Exam 400-251 (v5.0) which took effect starting Jan 31, 2017. It is quiet interesting to see another update rolling out on the back of an older one (350-018 V4.1) which took effect from July 25th 2016! Yet another interesting thing to see is v5.0 also implies changes to Cisco Security Lab exam as well.
Nonetheless, I am excited to see that Cisco is aggressively updating the exam blueprint to keep pace with the changes taking place in the security and networking industries. As I scanned through the changes in the official Cisco announcement, I noticed the following key areas that are worth noting.
- As we know, Cisco is an acquisition machine and recently snapped up Lancope (NBA/NetFlow), OpenDNS (cloud-delivered security), and SourceFire (FirePower product line) security companies. Both newly acquired and organically built (ex. ACI)products and solutions are now part of the new CCIE Security blueprint (v5.0)
- Overall exam blueprint now seems more consolidated (8 versus 6 exam sections)
- Identity Management, Information Exchange, and Access Control is the largest content contributor to the exam now (22% and 24% of the written and lab exams respectively)
- Security infrastructure products for perimeter security and intrusion prevention is the second largest content area when it comes written and lab exam content (21% and 23% of the written and lab exams respectively)
- It seems finally all of the VPN content is now consolidated into Secure Connectivity and Segmentation area (17% and 19% of the written and lab exams respectively)
- Infrastructure Security, Virtualization, and Automation now includes Cisco ACI and virtualized security domain
- There is no change to Evolving Technologies section across v4.1 and v5.0 exam blueprint. It continues to include SDN, Cloud and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Last but not least, Cisco also seems to be stepping up on transparency around the CCIE exam content with a lot of details for each section.
At CCIEin8Weeks, we take pride in keeping our study guides, practice quizzes and all other exam prep content up to date. Today, we provide CCIE written exam prep material for Routing and Switching (R&S) V5.1, Service Provider (SP) V4.1, Data Center (DC) V2.0, Security V5.0 and Collaboration V1.1 exams.
Please leave any comments or suggestions below and I will be answering them over the next few days.