CCIE Routing and Switching (R&S) 400-101 V5.1 Written Exam: Explain IP OperationsPaul Adam
In this article, I will be discussing Cisco IP Operations as part of Network Principles and Network Theory CCIE Routing and Switching (R&S) V5.1 exam blueprint topics.
- Explain IP operations
- ICMP unreachable, redirect
- IPv4 options, IPv6 extension headers
- IPv4 and IPv6 fragmentation
- IP MTU
Let me summarize some of the key takeaways related to Cisco IP Operations as relevant to CCIE Routing and Switching (R&S) V5.1 written exam blueprint topics.
IP Operations Exam Essentials
- If the TTL field reaches zero before the datagram arrives at its destination, then the datagram is discarded and an ICMP error datagram (11 – Time Exceeded) is sent back to the sender
- PMTUD is only supported by TCP
- IPv4 option type field is 8-bit long and is divided into three sub-fields namely Copied (1-bit), Option Class (2-bit) and Option number (5-bit)
I sincerely hope that you found this article and video helpful. Please post your questions or suggestions in the comments and tell me how you are preparing for your CCIE Routing and Switching (R&S) V5.1 written and lab exams.